Project number 2 of the Complete Unity Developer course was called Text 101. The aim was to create a text based adventure game quite similar to the old Zork or Colossal Cave Adventure. All the text is controlled via script and uses the concept of a finite state machine to control each stage. Things I’ve learned:
- Creating a Game Design Document
- Creating a new project and importing assets
- Adding a 2D UI text element and image for the background
- Changing text via script (using IF statements from the previous project)
- Using an enumeration type to list a set of named constants
- How to build for the web and share
My version of the game has been based on one of my favourite games, Dark Souls. You can explore, gain souls and die … often. It’s all very short and you have to actually read but if you do want to, you can check it out over here.