Game number 3 is complete! It’s a simple Brick Breaker style game (you know the kind – control a paddle to bounce the ball and destroy bricks) but I really feel like I’ve learnt a lot throughout this. I mean, I’m not exactly going to be rocking out the next AAA title any time soon, but I’m picking up new skills all the time:
- Importing assets, creating sprite sheets and setting up a menu of style:
Start > Level 1 > Level 2 > Level 3 > WIN > Restart
(Lose) > Restart
- Playing background music continuously through each scene with DontDestroyOnLoad;
- An introduction to 2D physics including mass and gravity;
- Controlling a ball using triggers and colliders via script;
- Controlling paddle movement by mouse and implementing boundaries;
- Swapping sprites and destroying objects when hit;
- Automated play testing via script to save you the frustration;
- Adding sound effects and an introduction to particle systems.
I used some Adventure Time backgrounds and made character bricks in my version of the game which you’re welcome to check out.